Are you an LGBTQ+ Young Adult writer with a story to tell?
To celebrate LGBT History Month 2021, I am offering a free 3-month mentorship to one LGBTQ+ author. It will include an initial virtual chat to discuss your WIP and what you want to achieve with it.
- You must be an unpublished writer with lived experience of being LGBTQ+. If you do not meet this criteria, unfortunately your submission cannot be considered.
- You should be based in the Republic of Ireland or the United Kingdom. I want to increase representation in Irish and British Young Adult Literature and cannot consider applications by unpublished writers who are not based in Ireland or the UK. If you are an Irish or UK author but not based there at present, I am sorry to say that I cannot consider your submission at this time.
- It must be a work that fits within the Young Adult genre. My editing expertise is more aligned with YA Literature.
To be considered, you should read the following instructions carefully:
- Please send the first ten pages of your work-in-progress (WIP) with a short synopsis (approx. 300 words) as one document. Save the file with the title of your WIP and your name. For example, The Hunger Games – Suzanne Collins.
- Please include a short bio identifying how you meet the criteria, your lived LGBTQ+ experience and also why you would like to be mentored by me. You should include this in the body of the initial email rather than a separate document.
- When you are happy with your submission, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for submissions is 28 February 2021 at 5pm GMT. The chosen mentee will be notified in April 2021. If you have not heard from me by 14 April 2021, I am sorry to say that you have not been successful.
By following these guidelines, it ensures that I can focus fully on the quality of writing and maximise my time. Please be aware that I am doing this in addition to my own work and am not receiving any pay or reimbursement for this. With that in mind, I will be unable to respond to unsuccessful applications or offer feedback. I will be choosing the mentee on the quality of writing and the story that grips me most. If you are not chosen, this is not a reflection on you and your work. Please do continue to write and develop your craft.
*The images used on this page are from the LGBT+ History Month website. This mentorship is not affiliated with them.*